Monday, January 17, 2011

A new semester, a new blog

With the start of the new semester, so begins new blog entries. This semester will be focused on music videos. As I thought about why I chose to take this class I have realized that music videos are one of my favorite art forms. They combine music and visual storytelling which are two things I really enjoy. As this is the first blog post here are some fun facts about me...

I love sports, especially baseball and football
My favorite genre of music is country, but I have a little bit of everything on my iPod
My artistic style is fun and colorful, but I also have a serious side

Here are some videos that stood out to me

The Script - For the First Time

This video is made using footage from the short film For the First Time by Charles Meling which used the song. I liked the style of the short film and the blending of the narrative story with the artist performing the song.

Nelly - Over and Over ft. Tim McGraw

I found this video to be interesting in that it combines two artists who are vary different from each other. I like how Nelly and Tim McGraw are doing the same actions, but in settings that represent their backgrounds, Nelly being from St. Louis and representing his urban upbringing and Tim McGraw as a country artist and the lifestyle that goes with it.

Nelly - Just a Dream

I like this video because of the artistic way it was shot. The shots of the water, the car floating in the air, and the ring spinning in the surf all seem like strange elements to combine but it all comes together in an interesting and creative way.

Sara Evans - A Little Bit Stronger

What stood out to me the most about this video was its simplicity. It is elegantly shot and helps convey the message of the song. Also a friend of mine pointed out that everyone can relate to this video at some point in their lives.

Faith Hill and Tim McGraw - Like We Never Loved At All

This video is like a short film of the story the song is telling. This video shows one thing I love about country music, that every song has a story that is being told with music. A music video is the perfect way to put that story into visual terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment